- Who can apply?
Applicants who have completed at least the first year of residency in any specialty are welcome to participate in elective programs at the National Taiwan University Hospital (NTUH). In order to be eligible for a limited number of clinical positions for foreign trainees, the following requirements shall be met:
Applicants must be in good health and in good academic standing at their own hospitals.
Applicants must have completed at least the first year of residency training prior to taking the elective courses at NTUH.
Proficiency in Chinese or English language, particularly in speaking, listening and comprehension, is preferred. Our teaching media and clinical practice are mainly in Mandarin Chinese while the teaching materials and the medical notes system are mainly in English.
- Required Documents
The following documents should be submitted 3 months prior to the beginning of the elective training program.
- Completed application form（Attachmefnt_A.PDF）with a recent photograph (passport size).
- Recommendation letter from your academic supervisor or director of your residency training program or institution.
- Personal statement describing your interests in learning if entering this program.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Photocopy of the diploma for Degree in Medicine.
- Photocopy of qualified medical license.
- Proof of residency training (at least one full year of post-graduate clinical training)
- Photocopy of your passport (the page containing personal information and photograph).
- Certificate of Pulmonary Tuberculosis and Hepatitis B status（Attachment_B.pdf）.
- Proof of travel health and injury insurance (if available).
- Statement of proficiency in the Chinese language (if available)
( In case that any of the diplomas, certificates or licenses are not in English, please submit the English translation certified by your governmental authorities.）
- Application procedures
Application documents wiill be reviewed by hte NTUH initially, and hten be further evaluated by the Ministry of Health and Welfare of Taiwan. Upon approval, applicants will receive letters of acceptance which be required when obtaining the Taiwanese visa. The application processing time is usually around 3 months.
- Whom you can contact
Department of Medical Education
Ms. Hui-Lin Chen
Tel｜(02) 23123456 ext 65612
Trainees must apply for either a visitor visa or a resident visa (for staying more than 180 days) in their country of residence before coming to Taiwan. The issuance of ROC visas in foreign passports is administered by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or ROC overseas missions. Long-term stay (more than 180 days): Resident Visa holders are required to apply for an Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) at the local service of the Ministry of Interior National Immigration Agency within 15 days after arrival. They may stay in the ROC as long as the Alien Resident Certificate remains valid. Application fee is NT$ 2,200 for single entry and NT$3,000 for multiple entries.
- Short-term stay: Visa holders are required to extend the length of stay of visa within 15 days preceding the expiration of the current visa.
Registration Procedure (Department of Medical Education)
- On the first day of the elective program, please report to the office of the Department of Education on the third floor of NTUH new building.
- Bring 2 photographs for registration and issuance of a NTUH ID card.
- Obtain wireless internet ID and password.
Learning in NTUH
- Every trainee is assigned a preceptor who will be responsible for the overall objectives of the elective program and relevant issues
- Every trainee will be given an introduction about NTUH’s environment after registration.
- According to the laws of ROC, trainees are not allowed to execute clinical work without a physician’s practice license in Taiwan.
- Completion of elective program certificate: a certificate will be given to the trainee upon his/her completing training courses and passing the performance evaluation by his or her assigned preceptor. The evaluation report will be sent to the director of the hospital from where the trainee came under the request of trainee or applying hospital.
- Tracking the learning objectives：During the elective program at NTUH, the trainee’s preceptor will modify the program as required through regular meetings with the trainee.
- Apply for a library card in NTU Medical Library:
A. Please refer to “The National Taiwan University Medical Library, the Circulation Practice for Alien Medical Staff in Training”.
B. Fill out the application form for the NTUML Library Card.
- A formal Learning report and a questionnaire ：Completion of this report/questionnaire at the conclusion of the elective program is mandatory before a completion certificate will be issued.
Day-life in NTUH and Taiwan
- Dormitory in NTUH
A. NTUH offers trainee dormitory accommodation pending on availability. Generally, there will be 4 occupants per room. There is noaccommodation service for families or couples.
B. Facilities :
(1) Central Air Conditioner
(2) Bedroom Furniture: bunk bed (including linens, two quilts and one pillow), desk, lamp, book-shelf, chair, and closets
(3)Bathroom facilities: Communal toilets and bathroom in the shared area. Hot water is available all day.
(4)Internet Facilities: Some areas are equipped with wireless network service and computers are available for free access at the public area.
(5)Telephone Service: Telephones in the rooms are for incoming calls only. Pay phones are located at the public area on each floor.
(6)Coin-operated washing machines and tumblers are provided in the laundry area (NT$10 dollars per usage). Spin dryers located in the laundry area of each floor are free of charge.
(7) Stoves, without cooking utensils, are available on some floors. A water fountain and one refrigerator are located at the public area on each floor.
(8) Televisions are on the 14th floor for men and on the 8th floor for women.
- Check in and check out:
(1) Submit completed application form for dormitory accommodation in advance in writing via email or regular mail.
(2) Check in with a photo and a copy of passport at dormitory at the information desk of dorm.
(3) Obtain a dormitory pass card and a room key.
(4) Remit dormitory pass card fee NT$500 and housing fee NT$ 3,000 per month to the Cashier Desk on the first floor of the NTUH new building.
(5) Return dorm pass card and room key to dormitory manager at the information desk of dorm on the day of departure. Please return them to the security guard office beside the main entrance of the NTUH building outside of office hours (8:30 am -11pm).
- The Jing-Fu Alumni Hall( Hotel)
The Jing-Fu Alumni Hall（Hotel）in the west region of NTUH is operated by the National Taiwan University Medical alumni Association. The cost for a single room is NT$25,000~30,000/per month including housing service. Please make reservation in advance if required. Phone number: +886-2-2312-3456 ext. 66370
- The outsourcing restaurant on NTUH B1 offers buffet-style（about NT$50-100 per meal）and varieties of cuisine types (about NT$100-150 per meal).
- There are two student cafeterias on Hsu-zhou Road near NTUH that offer buffet-style dishes (about NT$50-80 per meal）.
- The restaurant and stores at NTUH offer 10% discount to the staffs of NTUH bearing valid NTUH ID cards.
- On NTUH B1, a 24hr convenient store and a staff super-market carries food, household products and every-day items.
- There are many department stores, shopping complexes, small stores around the Taipei Main Station area.
Bank account can be opened with identification documents (passport and ARC) at the Taiwan Cooperative Bank branch located at B1F of NTUH new building.
The temperature during summer months（May to September） is 25-37℃, winter（December to February） is 13-21℃, spring（March to April） is 15-26℃, and autumn (October to November) is 17-28℃.
- From airport to NTUH: The regular shuttle bus station is on the B1 floor of the terminal I and 1st floor of the terminal II at the Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport. The bus service runs from 6AM to 11PM every 20 to 40 minutes to the Taipei Main Station. Taoyuan Metro is also availabe at Airport T1 Station and Airport T2 Station to the Taipei Main Station. From Taipei Main Station to NTUH is about 15 minutes by foot or NT$100 by taxi. Taxi fare from airport to NTUH is about NT$1,500.
- Transportation in Taipei: The best way of transporting within Taipei city is a combination of taxi, bus or walking and the Mass Rapid Transit system (MRT). If you are going to stay in Taipei for more than one month, we suggest that you buy a stored value EasyCard that can be used for both bus and MRT rides in Taipei. EasyCards can be purchased at all Taipei MRT stations.
- Transportation withinTaiwan: Bus service, domestic flights, railway or High Speed Rail are available for traveling in Taiwan.
- Health Insurance:
- Valid travel health insurance is recommended on trip to Taiwan.
- Taiwan National Heath Insurance would be available to you after getting ARC status for 4 months .
In comparison with many large cities, Taipei has relatively low crime rates. The streets are considered fairly safe even at night. Like anywhere else in the world, women should use caution when riding in taxis alone late at night. It is recommended to use a radio-dispatched cab service. Theft of personal property is more common especially when riding in crowded buses or MRT.
Around the island of Taiwan, the potential for sightseeing and exploration is unlimited. Please go to the website of Tourism Bureau ofTaiwan for travel suggestion and more information.
|Estimate cost per month||New Taiwan Dollar||USD (1:30)|
|Items||New Taiwan Dollar||USD (1:30)|
|Flight economic class||Varied by country|
|Bus (CKS airport-Taipei city)||125||4.17|
|Taxi (CKS airport-Taipei city)||1500||50|
|Taipei Subway (average)||40||1.33|
|A big meal (all you can eat, average)||500||16.67|
- Useful phone numbers:
A. The main telephone number of NTUH is｜(02) 23123456, please dial the 4-digit extension number directly or dial “4” for the operator’s service when using hospital phones
B. International Medical Service Center｜(02) 23562900, for living information and consultation
C. Department of Medical Education: Ms. Hue-Lin Chen｜(02) 23123456 ext 65612, for application information and consultation
D. Security Department｜(02) 23123456 ext 62065
E. Police: 11110, Fire 55555