National Taiwan University Hospital (NTUH) was founded in 1895. It was initially located at Dadaocheng, Taipei, and then was relocated to the present site in 1898 (now known as the West Campus). The building was initially constructed out of timber and then it underwent renovation in 1912 to become a tropical renaissance-style building. When completed in 1921, it was the largest and most modern hospital in Southeast Asia.
In 1991, a new building (now known as the East Campus) was completed and the two campuses were connected via the underground Jing-Fu Tunnel. Currently, the hospital employs just over 6,000 workers, has 2,400-odd beds and serves over 8,000 outpatients daily. In 2000, as authorized by the Executive Yuan, NTUH took in the 817th Military Hospital as its Kungkuan Campus. In April 2004, the Department of Health Yun-Lin Hospital underwent institutional change to become the Yun-Lin Branch of NTUH. In August of the same year, National Taipei College of Nursing Hospital also underwent institutional change to become the Bei-Hu Branch of NTUH. In 2008, the Children’s Hospital was opened. In 2009, the Kungkuan Campus ceased operations and the NTU Cancer Center Hospital was being built onsite. The North Coast Jin-Shan Hospital underwent institutional change to become the Jin-Shan Branch of NTUH in 2010. The Hsin-Chu General Hospital and Chu-Tung General Hospital, which were under the governance of the Department of Health of the Executive Yuan, underwent institutional change to become the Hsin-Chu and Chu-Tung Branch of NTUH in July 2011. As such, the healthcare system of NTUH is growing larger and stronger by the day to provide the general public with comprehensive medical services.
Over the last hundred plus years since its founding, NTUH has nurtured countless professionals in medicine, including medical students, specialists, pharmacists, nurses and technicians. They have served all over the world, and have gained much prominence with their outstanding performance. With respect to medical service, the quality of NTUH’s clinical practice is well known and highly trusted by the people of Taiwan. NTUH's diagnosis and treatment of hepatitis and cancer, organ transplantation, and its pioneering research accomplishments in biophotonics and clinical trial have also gained international recognition.
As a national teaching hospital, NTUH is shouldered with three major tasks: teaching, research and service. In terms of teaching, the hospital continues to collaborate with the university's curriculum to nurture talent in medicine and various specialties. In terms of research, resources are being integrated to establish core laboratories, which provide colleagues with the best research facilities and environment. In terms of service, all services are oriented towards and centered on patient safety; personalized care is emphasized, with a focus on medical quality and patient safety management in order to provide high quality and refined medical services. NTUH is also committed to promoting international cooperation, thereby gaining the experience and knowledge from the medical development of advanced countries, and thus enhancing the development of our country’s own medical care.