The education of medical students in National Taiwan University (formerly the school of medicine, Taihoku (Taipei) Imperial University) was a four-year course prior to 1945. Giving lectures was the main teaching method at that time. Clinical practice only took place in outpatient clinics and there was no clinical practice in wards. After Taiwan’s retrocession to Chinese Sovereignty in 1945, the school of medicine in National Taiwan University still followed the old system - four years for medical college in which a course in dermatology-urology was given in the third year. The medical college has been changed to a seven-year course since September 1949, and the medical students attended their courses in dermatology-urology in their fifth year. The dermatology-urology course was a one-year course, including four main subjects - dermatology, urology, dermatological treatment, and venereology. The teaching venue was in lecture room III or lecture room V (located at the side of big lecture hall, but had been demolished). The lecturers used Japanese and German to teach. Black board was the only tool to facilitate teaching. There was no overhead projector, wax figures were used to demonstrate skin lesions to the students during lectures. The best wax figure maker was Hsiung-Ting, Weng (later worked in WHO). The lecturers for urology were Yiou-Fu, Hsieh and Yao-Wan, Wu; whereas the lecturers for dermatology were Dun-Ko, Chen and Hsiung-Ting, Weng. Professor Chen was transferred to National Taiwan University Hospital II (today known as the Chung-Hsin Hospital) and became the chairman in the dermatology-urology department. He later became the first chairman in dermatology when dermatology and urology were separated to become two individual departments in October 1962. As time changes, using wax figure to demonstrate skin lesions has became a past history. Nowadays, teaching is facilitated by using overhead projectors. After 1951, the lectures were given in the big lecture hall and the attendance was high because there was no handouts given and the students have to make their own notes. The teaching venue was changed to Lecture room VII since 1961. Slides had become available and handouts were given during the lecture. Lectures have become more interesting. It would not be surprising for a lecturer to find his/her colleagues occasionally sitting among the students as audiences in his/her lectures. (1) Clerkship education At the beginning of the retrocession of Taiwan, there was a polyclinic course (now known as courses for ambulatory medicine) for students who had finished their courses in third year (now equivalent to the fifth year). There were two outpatient clinics for dermatology-urology department at that time. Although there were no significant differences between dermatology and urology on administration and education systems, one outpatient clinic specialized in urology while the other outpatient clinic was more specialized in dermatology. During their one-week to one-month duration of clerkship training, the students had to take history and perform clinical examination in these two outpatient clinics. Since the separation of dermatology and urology in 1954, only one outpatient clinic for dermatology was left, and the patients were treated equally irrespective of whether they were coming for their first visit or follow-up sessions. Professor Dun-Ko, Chen and Doctor Kuo-Lin, Yin were the primary attending physicians. Until the beginning of 1961, it has expanded to two outpatient clinics. Apart from Doctor Chen and Doctor Yin, there were also Doctor Yao-Ching, Liu; Doctor Su-Bo, Yieh; Doctor Mong-Zhe, Choung and Doctor Jau-Shiong, Deng became attending physicians as well. All residents and students were grouped together in the clinics. They observed and learned the diagnosis and treatment of all patients from the attending physicians. In mid-60s, the students were only allowed to see the patients in their first visits. During this period of time, a total of three outpatient clinics were established. The first outpatient clinic was for patients in their first visits; the second and third outpatient clinics were for follow-ups. Patients were seated between the teacher and the residents, and the students circled around them. There were also other residents and visiting physicians in the clinic, creating a crowded environment. Lectures were given to the senior clerks (the sixth year students) from 2pm to 4 pm; each teacher would teach different topics and slides was used as the main teaching tools to demonstrate skin lesions. The lectures were given in Lecture room VIIII. Quizzes will be given by the chief resident after the lectures.
(2) Education for Internship During the retrocession of Taiwan, there was no internship system. However, there was a non-paid position in each department, called fixed intern, for doctors who have just graduated from medical college. There were rounds every morning. The interns’ work is to look after newly admitted patients. The ward was on the third floor and there were 30 beds with not many patients. Most inpatients bore the diagnosis of syphilis, gonorrhea and leprosy. Interns would help to change dressings, to draw blood and to do some physical examination. Given the few number of patients, the interns would grab each learning opportunities to increase their knowledge. There was no specific course for interns, they learned from experience. Sometimes they would also need to attend outpatient clinics. In 1970s, the chief residents were assigned to give interns lectures on common skin diseases. In 1991, in order to further increase the interns’ knowledge in dermatology, the senior residents were assigned to give lessons on different topics to the interns from 4pm to 5pm on every Wednesday and Thursday. By the end of their clinical practice, all the interns should choose a topic for their seminars and they would also have to take a final exam. Dermatology has evolved into a favorite rotation among the interns due to its relaxing environment and the practicality of the knowledge, such as the diagnosis of various dermatosis, changing dressings, wound care, KOH examination, cryotherapy, etc. ,which will be beneficial in their future practice. From 1995, several changes have been made for the training course for interns. The sixth year students were treated equally as the seventh year students in terms of the scope of their lectures and clinical responsibilities. In addition, the four-week clinical practice has changed to a six-week rotation.